Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lessons From a Basketball Game

Kansas State University made history on January 30 as they defeated No.2 undefeated Kansas by 9 points! The celebrating was phenomenal to watch. Being so impressed by KSU I purposed to watch them "win again" on February 2 against Missouri. Well into the 2nd half this seemed to be a given as KSU had a 14 point lead. Then the "unthinkable" happened--KSU turnovers and excellent play by Missouri--making Wednesday night victors, Saturday afternoon losers. This reminded me of a quotation I had recently read by Dwight D. Eisenhower-"When you are in any contest, you should work as if there were--to the very last minute--a chance to lose it. This is battle, this is politics, this is anything." Personally, I believe KSU "thought" they had the game won, let down, and lost. More importantly I believe this is what was on the Apostle Paul's heart when he stated "I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. ICor. 9:27" and Phil.3:13b "One thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead." I also thought of the times in the Bible where great victories were followed by humbled defeats--example victory at Jericho followed by defeat at Ai due to Achan's sin, (though Ai was eventually defeated.)

Yes, victories and "good days" whether in the spiritual arena, sports, academics, family life need to be enjoyed and appreciated, but also received with much humility and the awareness that these are also times that make us extra vulnerable. Prov. 16:18 states "Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling."

I learned some other things from that game about not "giving up" when all seems to be lost, but I will save that for another blog.

No comments: