Wednesday, January 30, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DONNETA!

This is a special day for me as my sister, Donneta, celebrates her birthday. Donneta is still quite young as she is 2 years younger than I am! During the "era" that she was born, mothers stayed in the hospital for almost a week after a delivery. I was not quite 2 and stayed with my grandparents. When my parents brought Donneta home from the hospital they said that I was so thrilled to see my mom, and I exclaimed, "Mama did come home! Mama did come home!" Then I realized that Daddy was carrying a bundle and I exclaimed again, "A baby! A real live baby!"
The memories that we shared growing up were so many and so special--just to name a few--the years that we played on the same softball team (she was the catcher and I pitched)--the two years that we were in high school and the shared activities (even when she beat me in the finals of the ping pong tournament and won a trophy that I so desired!), the many nights that we would stay up late talking and Daddy would call up the stairs "Go to Bed". (I should add that Donneta, Laurel, and I continue to make treasured memories together.)
I always felt that Donneta was so much like our mom. In photos of each of them in their "younger years" there is a strong resemblance. They both love their husbands and children, work so hard, love the farm, have great smiles, were/are teachers, and have such a love for the Lord Jesus. I could go on and on but let me close with a poem (author unknown to me) that reflects my deep love for both of my sisters, Donneta and Laurel. (Laurel, I realize that I "dropped the ball" on your birthday; don't hold your breath; but I will get to it. This is why my boys call me Slo-Mo which stands for Slow Mother.)

Sister, sister
Take my hand
and we'll go back
as far as we can,
Back through the fields
of memory
To the long-ago you and me.

Childhoold was home,
and home was light
and love and warmth
on a cold, dark night,
and there at the heart
of home were we.
The long ago you and me.

We whispered secrets,
laughed and cried,
Ran wild outdoors
or stayed inside,
Held safe in the arms
of family
The long ago you and me.

We were little then
Now we are grown.
But I LOVE YOU STILL,
My sister, my own
and still at home
in my heart are we.
The long-ago you and me.

Happy Birthday, Donneta! I love you so very much. Marilee

1 comment:

grammaneir said...

Happy Birthday Donneta from our household in Hutchinson. What a nice tribute from your sister.