Friday, February 22, 2008

MY PRECIOUS FAMILY



"Count no day unimportant when you still have each other,
For the time will come, when you would give anything and everything
For just one day--any ordinary day, you once shared together."

I do not know the original author of this statement, but my mother wrote it on a 3x5 card and had taped it to a kitchen cabinet in their farmhouse. My mother truly lived the message of these words and she would frequently remind us that good-byes and departures should always (if at all possible) be on a happy, loving note--because none of us would know in advance if it could be our last farewell here on earth.

This week I was soberly reminded of the reality of these words. Two area families were tragically affected with loss of lives in accidents. Life as the survivors knew it will never be the same. My heart aches for the unimaginable grief their loved ones are experiencing.

I've been reminded of the truths from James 4 about "our plans" and the reality that we do not know what our life will be like tomorrow. The phrase comes to mind "Only one life will soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last."

So, Tim, Timmy, Taddy, and Tommy I love you ever so much. May I never minimize a day that I have the opportunity and privilege of sharing life with you and may I always have an eternal perspective on what matter most!

2 comments:

grammaneir said...

Such a very important reminder, Thanks!

Journaling My Journey said...

Very moving. This is such a neat way to pass something of our selves on to our family and others.