Monday, November 10, 2008

The Donut Lady!

A fun thing that I enjoy doing on Saturday mornings is making a "run"--in the car that is-- to Krispy Kreme for donuts. I get a dozen for Tim, Tad, and Tom and a dozen for my mom's assisted living house. This has become somewhat of a tradition and it is a fun way to make so many people happy! Now, when I walk into my mom's house on Saturday mornings, one lady calls out, "The donut lady is here!" They are all so appreciative. Last Saturday morning was especially delightful. One lady who is new at my mom's house said that it had been a long time since she'd had a Krispy Kreme; another told me how she looks forward to Saturday a.m.'s for the donut lady! My mom gets so happy and it is another chance for me to tell her how much I love her. (One Saturday when I had a schedule conflict and didn't get by, the caregiver told me that one of the ladies sat at the breakfast table for the longest time waiting for me to come.) I always say to them, "Happy Saturday"! and then explain that "The Donut Lady" needs to get back in her van and head north as her 3 sons are waiting, too! As I walked out of my mom's assisted living home last Saturday, I thanked the Lord for such a happy event. It has been so sad seeing the effects of Alzheimer's Disease in my mom's life, but my sisters and I have purposed that we will maximize this chapter in our mother's life with happiness and a "museum of memories". I'm thankful that I've had the delight and the privilege of being "The Donut Lady".

2 comments:

Don and Roberta Graber said...

How special!
I now care for a lady with Alzheimers about 30 hours a week. They do need some bright spots in their days. I am so glad that you can be the "doughnut lady". God bless you and your mom.

Marilee We Roll Along said...

Roberta,
Thanks for your kind words! You will be such a blessing to the lady that you are caring for. Sometime I hope we can visit more about this.