Tuesday, November 11, 2008

MY FAVORITE VETERAN--MY DAD


Veteran's Day has been especially meaningful to me today as I reflected on my gratitude for all the veteran's past and present who have served our country--many serving with the ultimate sacrifice of their lives and others with horrible injuries both physical and psychological. As I was preparing to do this blog, I saw on the internet the heart-rendering account of a WWII veteran who finally, at the age of 84,
broke 60 years of silence on the atrocities that he and others had endured in a Nazi slave camp. It was all that I could do not to cry.
Today, I think especially of my dad who was a WWII veteran in the Army Air Corps--this branch of the service eventually became the Air Force. My dad wouldn't have needed to enlist as he and his father were farming enough acres that he could have received a farm deferment. Yet, he was so compelled to serve and do his part, that he voluntarily enlisted. When he did this, he and my mother were engaged. She was working at the draft board in Abilene and filled out the papers for his entrance into military service. Neither of them had any assurance that he would return--many did not. My sisters and I each have notebooks that chronicle the different segments of his military service. We also have a copy of a note that he wrote during this time that says, "I am happy today because in my pocket I have my New Testament and in my heart I have the love of the sweetest girl on earth."
The photo included is in the Dole building on the KU campus where they honor the WWII veterans. Donneta was so diligent to send this in and then Jason and Marci toured the building and took a picture of their grandfather.
So today I can't appreciate enough or adequately thank the veterans of our country. You are HEROES and my dad will always be MY FAVORITE VETERAN.

1 comment:

Don and Roberta Graber said...

This is a special tribute to your dad. What a privilege that you have notebooks of his writings. How special the note about the N.T. in his pocket and the love in his heart!