Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Sunday School Teacher's Influence

The summer after I completed the 5th grade, my family began attending a Bible Church in Salina, Kansas. The number of miles that my parents drove to do this doubled--compared to our previous drives to church-- but they considered it an investment in their daughters. My sisters and I just loved the Sunday School in this new church. We would try to learn our Bible verses, study our lesson, and never miss--so that we could get a "perfect attendance pin". Each Sunday School teacher is remembered and deeply appreciated by us. Today the teacher I had (and then my sister's after me) in the 6th grade is celebrating her 88th birthday--Caryl Tucker! Sunday after Sunday she prepared and taught us. From that small basement classroom she influenced many young girls for the Lord. What she and her family need to celebrate on this special day is the exciting reality that her influence and that of other faithful teachers "keeps on going". Now her 6th grade students have children of their own and indirectly she has influenced them as well. Her influence is not only stateside but has been taken to other countries--Mexico, Turkey, and East Asia. As I think of Caryl, I'm taken by how she has always treasured God's Word. Qualities such as Faithful, Steadfast, Consistent come to my mind. This treasured teacher not only influenced 6th grade girls but she has her own children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren who are living examples of her influence as well. So on this special day I simply wanted to say thanks to Caryl and the many other Sunday School teachers who week by week invest in teaching God's Word to students and remind you that your efforts are not in vain. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARYL!! My sisters and I love YOU!

1 comment:

grammaneir said...

What a nice tribute Marilee and Mom thanks you for it. She so enjoyed those days. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.