Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sisters and Nieces Fun Friday!



For several years my sisters and I have been wanting to schedule a fun outting that would work for everyone's schedule! Recently we were able to enjoy this. Donneta, Laurel, and I met in Abilene--our home town early one morning. We were so happy that niece, Anna, and a little later in the morning, niece, Marci, could join us. (We missed niece, Shawnee, but Arkansas is a little far to travel for a day.) We began in a store called the Cypress Bridge that had beautiful fall decorations! We must have spent a couple of hours there before venturing on to other special stores. It was so special to walk down the streets of my hometown and try to "remember" what stores had been there in "years gone by". I pointed out to everyone the steps that used to lead to a basement barber shop where our dad would get his hair cut. The window was still there that Donneta and I would knock on to wave to him as he was in the barber's chair! We went to the drug store and Laurel treated us to the soda fountain that was really unchanged from years gone by. Donneta treated us to lunch at a wonderful deli called, "The Dish" and the sandwiches were delicious! Walking up and down these streets brought back so many treasured memories. We wished that our mom could join us for these events but she is always with us in our hearts. After more shopping, laughing, and getting tired legs and feet the day came to a close. Before leaving Abilene, we stopped at Sonic and then went to the cemetery and put fall flowers on our dad's grave. Enroute back to Wichita I drove by the farmhouse where I grew up and where in the depths of my heart will always resonate as "home". We saw a sign in Abilene that said, "Home is where your story begins." I am so thankful for this beginning.

1 comment:

grammaneir said...

I enjoyed reading about your time together. Those are such wonderful times and you made a fun day of it.