Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Coach for a Day

When I was growing up there was a TV show with the title, "Queen for a Day". I was certainly never that but last Saturday I was "Coach for a Day"---probably more correctly titled "Assistant Coach for an Hour". Tommy had a Biddy basketball game and their coach never arrived. For the game to be played there had to be a parent "acting as a coach" sitting on the bench. Another Mom was delegated to be the head coach and she asked if I would be her assistant. You should have seen the look on Tommy's face when I walked over to the bench and told him I would be one of the coaches! He looked mortified to say the least. Whenever there was a time-out called by the other team or a break for a quarter or at half-time, the boys wouldn't even come over to us! They just huddled by themselves a distance from their coaches (the other Mom and me). I did ask them if they thought a full court press might work. They discussed it (briefly) and it was implemented for an even briefer period of time! It has been my observation that often the coach's kid gets to play a lot of minutes in a game--not always, but often. So, true to form, my son played every single minute in this game! Now I have to admit that his team only had 4 players and had to "borrow" a player from the other team! Now for the moment you have all been waiting for (drum roll--------), Tommy's team won 46-45 and Tom had about 12 points. My coaching record stands at 1-0, and I believe that I'll quit while I am ahead! Also, I haven't been getting calls from the big name schools, etc. So, though I could never add "Queen for a Day" to my resume, I can now add "Assistant Coach for an Hour" to my resume.

So long for now from "Coach Marilee we roll the basketball along"

P.S. It was quite a "feeling of importance sitting on the bench!"

No comments: