Wednesday, March 23, 2011

PERSPECTIVE!

This time of year I love all the basketball games! Yes, I have filled out my brackets, and yes, there are many "red marks" of correction in my incorrect guesses of who would win. (But, I am also following the Wall Street Journals sophisticated approach to bracketology and their "guesses" almost have as many red marks as mine do.) But there is something more important that I would like to blog about and that is the perspective on the refs' calls in a game. The same game event occurs and yet half the crowd is cheering the ref and the other side is angry and yes, booing. What's the difference? It is the perspective or the "frame of reference" that each side has. The same game event has elicited "polar opposite" reactions.
Possibly, there is something further that could be gained from this sport's observation. This is played out frequently in "real life" situations that happen in the work force, at churches, schools, competitions, politics, and families. The same situation can elicit "polar opposite" responses--some are happy and some are "otherwise". Possibly, if we (I) could learn to reasonably try to understand the perspective of the other side/person there could be communication and reasonable exchange that has potential to accomplish more than we see demonstrated at some athletic events.
Hopefully, I can learn to model this for our 3 sons and possibly convey this to them. For now, GO WSU in the NIT and KU in the SWEET 16!

1 comment:

grammaneir said...

Good thoughts Marilee! We agree with you.